Stories

New York Extends $2.5 Million Health Care Pilot for Sex Workers Through 2028

Roselydah Eunice
By Roselydah Eunice 5 min read

New York has extended a taxpayer-funded health care pilot for sex workers through June 30, 2028, adding about $1.5 million to a program that began under Gov. Kathy Hochul’s administration in 2023.

The state Department of Health program serves sex workers in New York City, Buffalo, and parts of Western New York. The latest extension brings the expected total cost to nearly $2.5 million, according to procurement records and details reported Saturday.

Contracts Run Through 2028

The program is operated through the Department of Health’s AIDS Institute. It provides access to primary care, sexual health care, behavioral health services, and dental care.

The state procurement notice shows the latest contract period runs from July 1, 2025, to June 30, 2028. The listed contractors are EHS Inc. and Community Health Project, which is affiliated with Callen-Lorde.

The state previously awarded $1 million for the pilot in 2023. The new extension adds three more years of funding.
Each provider is expected to receive $250,000 per year under the extension. That continues the model used in the original pilot.

Two Providers Lead Care

Callen-Lorde serves participants in New York City. Evergreen Health, operated by EHS Inc., serves Buffalo and Western New York.

The program does not give cash directly to sex workers. It funds health providers to deliver or coordinate medical services for people who identify as sex workers.

Callen-Lorde’s own program materials say its COIN program provides free care in an affirming setting. The Callen-Lorde COIN clinic page says patients can access primary care, sexual health care, behavioral health care, dental care, pharmacy services, and case management.

The clinic says self-attestation is the only enrollment requirement. It also says uninsured patients may receive help covering care costs, while insured patients may have copays and deductibles covered.

Health Department Defends Program

Image Credit: 123rf

The Department of Health has defended the pilot as a public health initiative. The agency said all New Yorkers deserve access to quality, barrier-free care.

The AIDS Institute’s role places the program within a broader state health system focused on HIV, sexually transmitted infections, hepatitis, and services for populations facing barriers to care. The AIDS Institute web page says the office coordinates state programs related to HIV, STIs, and other public health services.

Supporters of this type of program argue that sex workers may avoid traditional medical settings because of stigma, safety concerns, lack of insurance, or fear of legal consequences. They say targeted services can help connect people to care before health problems become more serious.

The state has also said it needs more time to evaluate the pilot. That explanation appears in the procurement justification for continuing the work without a new competitive bidding process.

No New Bidding Process

The extension was handled as a single-source procurement. That means the state did not open the work to competitive bidding.

The Department of Health said a competitive process was not feasible in this instance. It also said more time was needed to evaluate the program.

That decision has become one of the central points of criticism. Opponents say a program now expected to last five years should face a stronger review before more public money is committed.

Single-source contracts are not unusual in government. Agencies can use them when they believe existing vendors have unique experience or when a transition could disrupt services.

Still, watchdogs and lawmakers often scrutinize them because competitive bidding can help compare costs, expand vendor options, and protect public funds.

Republican Lawmakers Object

Republican lawmakers criticized the extension after details became public. They argued the funding rewards a policy direction they oppose and should have gone through the Legislature.

Assemblyman Michael Novakhov, a Brooklyn Republican, sharply criticized the program and compared the spending with the financial struggles of emergency medical workers. He argued the state should prioritize frontline health workers who say they cannot afford basic living costs.

Assemblyman Sam Pirozzolo, a Staten Island Republican, also objected. He said Hochul was catering to progressive officials who support decriminalizing sex work.

The critics have argued that existing public clinics already provide reproductive health, STI treatment, and other services. They say a separate sex worker program is unnecessary.

The administration’s position is that the program addresses access barriers and public health risks, not criminal law.

Decriminalization Debate Shadows Program

The health pilot does not legalize prostitution. It does not change New York criminal law. But the program is being debated inside a larger political fight over sex work policy. Some progressive lawmakers have supported proposals to remove certain prostitution-related penalties for consenting adults.

A New York Senate bill introduced in 2023 proposed decriminalizing certain prostitution offenses and amending rules tied to prosecutions and vacated judgments.

Supporters of decriminalization argue that criminal penalties make sex workers less safe and less likely to seek help. Opponents argue it would normalize exploitation and make enforcement harder.

The Hochul administration has not said the health pilot is tied to decriminalization legislation. Its public statements have described the program as a health access measure.

Evaluation Still Pending

The next major issue is whether the state releases clear results from the pilot. So far, the public record does not provide a full outcome report showing how many people were served, how many appointments were completed, what services were most used, or whether health outcomes improved.

Those numbers will likely shape the next stage of the debate. Lawmakers could seek more details on enrollment, cost per participant, and whether the program reduced untreated infections or emergency care.

The current contracts are scheduled to run until June 30, 2028. The Department of Health says the extension allows additional time to evaluate the program, while critics say taxpayers should see stronger evidence before the pilot receives further long-term support.
Author
Roselydah Eunice

Roselydah Eunice is a writer and sports professional. Since 2016, she has specialized in creating engaging social media content, authentic journal-style reflections, and persuasive commentary designed to spark meaningful discussions. A former professional player in the FKF Women's Premier League and a certified football coach, Roselydah uniquely blends her passion for sports leadership with a gift for clear storytelling. Her goal is always to build authentic connections and write content that resonates deeply with her readers.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *